Monday 12 September 2011

Stray Adoption Criterion

I have been actively involved with the stray animal cause since the last few years.

Earlier this year, I started using Facebook to reach a wider audience and share knowledge with other animal lovers. Today, I work as an independent animal lover and help strays to get adopted.

As time has gone by, I have come to follow a certain set of rules on adoptions.  I share these with you -
  1. An initial phone call followed by screening of the adoptive family. Here I try to sense the comfort of the family with pets and willingness to add a new member to the home. Only when all family members are ready to adopt, do I get ahead with the process
  2. As a rule, only families who will keep the pet at home are entertained. Keeping the pet in compound/garden/residential premises is not equal to adopting 
  3. Preference to families over individuals - This ensures that the pup/kitten has someone to look over it at all times
  4. Preference to families who have had prior experience with pets. First time adoptive families are counselled on food habits, dog walks, moods of pets, timely vaccination and consultation from vets
  5. Since I am based out of Mumbai, I prefer working on adoptions in Mumbai and nearby places. This allows me a chance to meet with the adoptive families and gauge their interest levels. However, on Facebook, I help fellow animal lovers from other cities and share adoption updates from various cities on my profile
  6. Neutering of the pet - I ensure that adoptive families get their pets neutered at the appropriate age.
  7. Adoptive family details : I collect ID proof, address and other important details from the adoptive families.
  8. I keep in regular touch with all adoptive families and ask them to share pictures/videos of the pets as they grow
This is largely how I work. However, if you are an animal lover or someone who works with rescued animals, and you have important suggestions for me to follow, please write to me.

If, like me, you also work as an independent worker (not attached with any NGO), please follow the above rules in order to ensure proper care for the strays. 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Rather than buying a pet from a pet store or breeder, consider saving a stray life

10 comments:

natura said...

nice blog...

kalyan said...

Sounds good to me. A few can be added at a point of time.

varsha said...

very nice thing to do manisha, you are helping the speechless god will surely bless u for tht.

Manisha Matta said...

@natura - Thanks

@kalyan - Thanks Kalyan. Do share your thoughts

@varsha - Thank You for visiting. Keep coming back.

sourabh said...

maam - It will be good to use a form to capture all these details. A lot of questions can be answered in tht form. The family needs to know the commitment required in future ( In case of marriage, birth of a baby, allergies etc)

Rumpali said...

Great idea and lovely write up Manisha - keep it up- we are all with you :)

Gital Parekh said...

Manisha Aunty your committment and devotion to our loving angels on the streets is commendable...you are an inspiration to all of us

Manisha Matta said...

@Sourabh - Yes, i'm working on the form format. For now i also discuss the things you mentioned, orally


@ Rupali - Thank you for your support

@ Gital - Thank you so much dear

Unknown said...

i feel happy. to say dat u r into d most"blessed" job possible ever... i feel lucky to have found this blog, pets n animals are sumthg i care a lot of.. i reside in mumbai>> borivali... in case u need help or info. feel free to. contact so will i,vice versa.. Once again, Great job. mam!!

Manisha Matta said...

@scorpion - Thank you very much. It's a pleasure to meet like minded people. Please look me up on facebook and add me to your friend list.

Even I am based in Mumbai and please feel free to get in touch.